I sat in my office for many hours thinking about what I have learned this week. There have been some tough things this week and I don’t know if I a necessarily a better person, but I am wiser and I’ve learned to take better care of me, my marriage and friendships.
1. People will disappoint, hurt, anger, and take advantage of you. My circle of trust grew smaller and I learned a new life lesson. Actually, it has taken months to learn this lesson, I just allowed it come into fruition this week. Yesterday sucked pretty bad, I won’t lie. But I took the time to clear my head and think. Amazing things happen when you do that. I realized I have to do what is best for me.
What is best for me? I’m taking my time back. There is less of me to go around. I was going to say I am being selfish, but how is it being selfish when I am taking care of me? It is not and I am okay with my decisions.
2. There will never be enough hours in the day. Which means I have to make better choices about what I am doing professionally. My time has to be used wisely for me.
3. I need to sleep more. What I really need to do is sleep more consistently, going to bed at a set time and waking up at one. This going to bed at 2 a.m. one night, midnight the other, 9 p.m another, while sticking to my 6 a.m. wakeup, is for the birds.
4. Sitting on my front porch is therapeutic. Last night, my husband I sat on our front porch and talked for several hours after The Kid went to bed. We enjoyed the cool breeze, listened to the crickets chirping and took time to catch up and just be. Spending that time together, away from work, chores, and electronics was a gift and one we agreed to continue giving each evening we’re home.
5. I have amazing friends. Very few of them live in my community, but thanks to our phones and the Internet, we stay in touch, support and keep each other sane. They are rock star friends and while I don’t say it often enough, I am so very thankful they are in my often times chaotic and messy world.
What did you learn this week?