This year, my New Years Resolution is to not make any.
Plain and simple. I hate breaking promises. I also realize that many of things that I have done in this lifetime (quit smoking, cut out artificial ingredients, etc) came from me being proactive and saying “I choose to not do this _______”.
Plus, did you know that only 12% of people making resolutions actually keep them? You heard it correctly. 12%.
That being said, there are choices I am making for me.
1. Cut out the crap. Junk food, frenemies, negative thinking, toxic behaviors. The usual stuff.
2. Time. I am making the choice to take time for me. It means I will do things I enjoy. What are those? Exercise (I used to be a runner), meditation, reading, and yoga. All of the above, I need. They help fill my soul and make me a better person.
3. Cultivate friendships. I have made so many wonderful friends this year. I want to cultivate and nurture those friendships. I also have to remember that those we consider to be family are made from love, not necessarily blood.
4. Take less crap from people. Seriously. If you asked, I would give you the shirt off of my back if you needed it. Have always been that way. However, I have also gotten a lot of crap from people who have used me this past year. I am done with that.
5. Blog my ass off. That’s right. I have an editorial calendar. I have a game plan. I have a blog. Now I know what the coach of the 71-72 Dolphins felt like. Game on.
6. Re-do my living space. That’s right. Re-do it to suit me. Not huge changes, but removing things I don’t love and making it available to people who will love it. Why am I holding on to it if it doesn’t work for me?
So, that’s it in a nutshell. It’s really just work on things for me and my life. I need the renewal of spirit that personal growth will be bring and my body needs renewal that getting back to the healthy habits I have lost this past year.
I owe these choices to myself.