When I was a little girl, I wanted to live with the Jetson’s. As an adult, I still want to live with the Jetson’s, mainly for their handy-dandy robot, Rosie. Since that’s possibility isn’t likely to happen in the near future, I have been incorporating different tools to help make my home more connected in order to live up to the futuristic ideals of the Jetsons and my own imagination. I work from home with my office door shut and find myself walking through the house to investigate the “bumps” I hear occasionally. Recently, I’ve been using the Canary Indoor Wireless High-Definition All-In-One Home Security device to monitor the things that go bump in the night, or when I’m writing and editing.
The Canary Indoor Wireless High-Definition All-In-One Home Security device helps keep your home safe and sound with motion detection notifications, a 90+ dB siren, and HomeHealth Technology. It learns the cadence of your home so it can send you accurate notifications with fewer false alarms triggered by pets or other regular activity in your house. The first few days after installation, my husband was working out of our open living area and my phone received multiple alerts every hour. The adaptive technology learned his habits of pacing when on business calls and adjusted the settings, saving my battery and notifications thread. When he’s not working from home, the Canary device also adapts quickly to no one walking by where I have cameras positioned and adjusts for the lack of movement. Score one for technology!
- Canary is the only home monitoring device currently on the market with a 90+ decibel siren and a localized emergency call feature, which allows you contact authorities close to home from anywhere in the world.
- Since the March 2015 launch, nearly 75 known burglaries, home invasions, caretaker abuse and other emergency situations have been captured by Canary, resulting in multiple arrests
- Canary’s HomeHealth feature lets you know if the temperature and air quality of the home is safe and comfortable – you can monitor the air quality, temperature and humidity in your home from almost anywhere
- Canary is a great way to check in on kids or caregivers. If the device is set to “Arm,” you receive a notification when someone arrives in your home. Use the “Watch Live” feature to check on everything from homework being done to house rules are being followed
- Canary pairs well with other devices and is super easy to set-up
- Canary picks up sounds and allows you to sound the siren from the viewing screen, as well as make an emergency call
As with any technology, there are always a few cons:
- The camera on the Canary security device is stationary and doesn’t allow for adjustment up and down, or side to side. If it’s in the middle of the room, I would like to be able to adjust the camera from my smartphone app and look more closely into corners if needed
- Forgetting your husband is home when testing the Canary 90+ dB siren might make you consider calling an ambulance for a brief moment because you scared him so badly. Laughing until you cry during that situation is not helpful
I paired the Canary security device with a new Netgear Nighthawk DST Router and DST Adapter. This brand new router was developed by Netgear and Best Buy, as an easy, all-in-one solution to support your homes connected devices. As an added bonus, Best Buy even includes Geek Squad Set Up and Support via phone and web support, for one full year. Due to the layout of our house, my wi-fi, while fast, was non-existent outside of my front door — and my office is beside the front door. Now I’m picking up my home wi-fi at the mailboxes two houses down and my downloads have never been faster in my office thanks to the DST Adapter.
Get rid of wi-fi dead zones
One of the main reasons for adding this router to my tech arsenal was due to the number of connected devices we have. The average American home has at least 7 Wi-Fi connected devices connected on their home network at any time. Using these devices, while binge watching Netflix or Hulu (guilty!) takes a toll on your system. With the Netgear Nighthawk DST Router and DST Adapter, I no longer have to live in fear of experiencing slow Wi-Fi, dropped calls, or “dead zones.”
My setup was a little more complicated, due to my wi-fi and modem being an all-in-one combo. A quick call to Best Buy’s Geek Squad (and one to my ISP to have the wi-fi on my modem turned off) and I was cooking with gasoline. (I could have bridged the routers, but chose not to for the sake of this review and testing purposes.) Geek Squad is like your very own IT department ready and waiting to assist with any tech problems or needs.
- Geek Squad support will get you up and running plus, customize the router settings on your Netgear Nighthawk DST Router and DST Adapter
- With the touch of a button on the router, support can easily connect your wireless devices and secure your network
- 24/7 Phone and Web Support for one year if you ever have questions or need help
- The power of Nighthawk, now with built-in DST technology—enables add-on DST Adapters to eliminate dead zones with the push of a button
- Dual Core 1GHz dual core processor enables maximum WiFi performance
- 700mW high-power amplifiers for extreme range
- 3 external antennas for maximum signal coverage
- Prioritized bandwidth for streaming videos or music (Important with teens!)
- Implicit & Explicit Beamforming
- Dynamic QoS—Delivers bandwidth prioritization by application and device
- ReadyCLOUD® USB Access—Enjoy personal & secure cloud access to USB storage anytime, anywhere
- NETGEAR genie® with remote access
Disclosure: This is a review for Best Buy. I was sent product, but was not compensated.